The Boys and Girls Club of Central Arkansas began in 1912 as the Citizenship Club formed by a group of Little Rock newspaper carriers. In 1915, with 700 members, they became the Pulaski County Boys Club.
The Pulaski County Boys Club - 1915
The North Little Rock Boys and Girls Club was organized in 1923 through the auspices of the national organization and local founding board members. It was chartered by the State of Arkansas in 1931 as a non-profit corporation with the purpose of providing boys and girls with skills for social, cultural, educational, recreational and physical development.
North Little Rock Boys Club - 1931
In 2007, The Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Arkansas was
formed as a result of a merger of the Little Rock and North Little Rock
Boys and Girls Clubs. The mission is to continue a proud tradition that
spans over 95 years in serving the Central Arkansas community.
After the formation of the North Little Rock Boys Club, the Pulaski County Boys Club changed its name to Little Rock Boys Club.
With the growth of Pulaski County throughout the years, additional Clubs were formed to serve the needs of the children of the community. Four Clubs were established in Little Rock and three in North Little Rock.
In 1971 membership was officially opened up to girls, but it wasn't until 1987 that the Boys Clubs of America became the Boys and Girls Club.
The Club has a
proud, tradition of developing boys and girls into well-rounded adults
and productive, responsible citizens. Over the years we have adapted to
meet the changing needs of youth in a changing and increasingly hazardous
society. The Boys & Girls Club has developed solutions and
alternatives to many of the pressures and problems today's kids face.We intervene with positive life-shaping programs, producing the direction so many need. We provide a positive alternative to neighborhood gangs and destructive personal behavior.
We are the Positive Place for Kids!